Friday, August 19, 2011

work when you don't have any

"Deprived of meaningful work, men and women lose their reason for existence; they go stark, raving mad."

That's from Dostoevsky's prison memoir, Notes from the House of the Dead.  His fellow prisoners found all sorts of ways to keep busy, from moonshine to making shoes to working out deals with the guards to do odd jobs and get a little spending cash.  Others went totally bonkers.  I don't think I'm that far yet, but recent photographs might disagree.  


Oh!  Hi, crazy face!  I'm going to take a step or two back now...


The best way to keep off the crazyland is probably to do some sort of work.  So, I try to do my physical therapy right away in the mornings (or else I'll convince myself it's not important...)



I have always hated strength training.  Tell me to go run for miles and miles, but at least then I know I've gotten somewhere.  My muscles refuse to make any visible sign of progress from day to day or even week to week, so I'm pretty much going on faith that my doctors know something here.  Faith and work!

Most days, I try to do a little German studying, which is helping me gain useless vocabulary but again, speaking a language is not the kind of thing that shows great progress every day.



Although I can say I know a whole bunch of new words at the end of the day.  Take that, weights!

Of house-type work, I do the dishes a lot these days.


But at least I can see the progress.





I have been trying to work on a few fiction projects that I've been kicking around in my head as I've been too busy with school work to really get into.  As it turns out, schoolwork was one of many excuses I had been making to avoid doing writing work.  I got over my inability to plan out a story by doing outline work.  And then I avoided useless work by tossing several of those outlines back into the brain stew until they're fully baked.  I got over my inability to finish by going analogue and getting rid of the distractions.  And doing that instead of more fun/less useful stuff like reading the news.  And I finally finished the first draft work!


The important part here is the last part.  The "The End" part.  The I-finally-finished-something part.
But if I don't want to go crazy, I'd better finish the redraft-that-crummy-story work.  This is brow-sweating stuff, but I don't know if it's bread-earning stuff.  Oh well.  I'm in Germany.  It's not worry about bread time!  It's take your bread and have a picnic by the stream time!  Speaking of, off we go...


Bonus feature:  Poll!  Is hobby-work better than watching TV?  If so/if not, what else is better than TV?

6 comments:

  1. hobby work is SO much better than tv because it engages your brain, your creativity, and enlarges your ability to DO and BE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We finally had to make a rule about the TV when I went back to work...no TV until Walt goes to bed. (Insert my "mean mom" voice here) That way we have to actually talk to each other and have fun. :) And I actually think Landon's been doing more writing and sketching since we made that rule! I feel you on not having a job, but it sounds like you're keeping busy! I can't wait to read your story - you better transcribe it for the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. physical therapy? what's wrong with you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not willing to make a definitive statement on the poll question. Mindless hobby work is certainly possible (think Alex and knitting) and yet even mindless hobby work produces something (socks!). Point for hobby work. But sometimes a busy brain needs a break from conscious thought. In my experience, the thoughts are still whirring in the background, but the foreground can enjoy a nice Murder She Wrote. Point TV. I think this is especially true if the main work is logical/thoughtful work. So my vote is "it depends." Like most things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is an article that I read a LONG time ago. It's about what makes us happy. Part of it is about 'creation.'

    http://lds.org/general-conference/2008/10/happiness-your-heritage?lang=eng

    This is why I think that hobby work is better than watching TV. (though, I watch WAY more TV than I do creating anything)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mels: What's wrong with me is that a doctor cut my shoulder open! OK, so he was trying to fix my tendons, but it seems to me to be something of an "There Was an Old Lady" situation...

    Mum: As usual, you refuse to ignore nuance!

    Ky: We'll see... it needs redrafting, and I don't know if I like it that much... :)

    Anna: Thanks for that! I hadn't thought of it in gospel terms!

    Thanks for your responses, everyone!

    ReplyDelete