Germans do bread, and they do it well. Very well. After a few weeks of silly ignorance, we finally bought a loaf of the good stuff, and we quickly found out why Germans will eat it at every meal.
Exhibit A: It's dark and tasty. This particular loaf has a high rye content, which gives it a little sharpness that contrasts really well with a little mild butter. The crust is crunchy but not hard, and the inside is soft and dense, like a good pillow*. In fine, it's like French bread for real men.
Exhibit B: It keeps you full. Speaking of the French, this isn't your sissy fluffy crispy white bread. No, this is stick-to-your-ribs stuff. This is kill-those-munchies-for-good stuff. It's so rich in fiber, it owns 5% of the national debt.
Exhibit C: It goes real well with German food. So we're too lazy to make real German food--though I did make some cheese speztle, which amounts to an eggy version of mac and cheese. I liked it a lot, but Catherine not as much. To go with our bread, though, we thought we'd try German microwave dinners. And again, because they're German and fancy, they came in a little tin intended to be baked, not microwaved. Being Americans (and lacking an oven) we ignored the fanciness, but it still turned out looking pretty good:
 |
| Currywurst pasta, my personal favorite, and bread. |
 |
| A stroganoff-type meatballs and mushrooms which complimented quite well the flavor of the bread. |
 |
| Glorious traubensaft so dense it's like drinking a cupful of grapes. Its ambrosia-like sweetness provided an excellent contrast to the wholesome rye flavor of the bread. |
 |
| Guten Appetit! |
In short, one loaf kept us full for almost a week. Today is the day we go buy more. I have got to figure out how to make this myself!
This NPR Berlin blog post suggests I might even have a market for my German bakery in the States--if I can find flour dense enough. Maybe I'll just mill my own...
And we haven't even
begun to talk about pastries yet! O meine Gute...
*This blog will not be held legally responsible for any damages caused to your person if you become covered in crumbs because you tried to use German bread as a pillow. (But if you try it and like it, you should let me know. I'm just too scared to try.)
No comments:
Post a Comment