So, for example, if you lock yourself out when taking out the trash, you will have to find another until your wife gets back from class. But if you can find a nice park bench to sit at while work on story ideas in your little notebook, you'll hardly feel locked out. Well, you'll still feel locked out, but it won't be so bad.
Our home for the next month is located on Catherine's Street, appropriately named for my sweet wife.
Or for a Russian tsar's daughter married back into German royalty. Given that the Romanovs (by the end) were almost 100% German, this should not be too surprising. But I prefer the explanation that they knew we were coming and prepared a street with our name on it. Our apartment is in house 8, painted a lovely blue:
Our neighborhood is modern in the old style, which is how some of my favorite places in Central Europe have been. For example, there is this Catholic church next door that has the same kind of feel. (I'm thinking of the clock on top for the modern influence, so I'll have to blow it up for you to see. And by blow it up I mean make it bigger. >.<)
Surprisingly, it's not this church that rings out the time, although the bell is just audible inside our apartment, even with the windows closed! I find bell-towers both convenient and beautiful. If I was king of the world for a day, I'd make sure every Mormon church had a friendly bell tower that rang briefly every hour on the hour and when services were beginning. (Not everyone would be down with that, I'm sure. Your votes?)
In our building, we have a few other apartments, what appears to be the green party (more on this later), and this weaving shop. Inside you can see hand looms (!) making fabric.
Around the corner of our building is a cafe called "Le Café de Paris" and this very colorful scene, along with what sounds like a karate studio (more on that as I'm able to verify the facts):
If you've been following along at home, we went from the front of our building then around the corner (both pics looking southward) and on our right is our little back yard. We're in a studio apartment, which shares a little yard with the other apartments in the complex. Turn to your right...
All that, and we're not paying a lot more than the kids staying in the (sometimes bone-chilling) dormatories. This is because my sweet wife ist sehr klug, meine freunden! She found it on the interwebs and it's working out very nicely. I feel quite at home in our cozy, clean, neat room. Although a lot of things are different, there are certain things that remind me of home. For example, lilacs, which are apparently so useful to plant because they will grow literally anywhere (and look so nice and purple while they do it!)
And rivers are still beautiful in Germany. As if we were worried about that.
The surprise is in the gondolas. Bam! and you're in Venice!
Yup, Tuebingen is a nice place to call home for a while, as did a collection of philosophers and theologians including Hegel, the current pope, an important Biblical scholar David Strauss.
Although, one might say that our true home is wherever you are. Since you're kind enough to read my blog, you're probably up to helping us feel at home when we get to your neck of the woods, I presume? We'll do the same for you, although we've only got the tile floor to offer at this point. (It can be heated or cooled at your request!)
Our home for the next month is located on Catherine's Street, appropriately named for my sweet wife.
Or for a Russian tsar's daughter married back into German royalty. Given that the Romanovs (by the end) were almost 100% German, this should not be too surprising. But I prefer the explanation that they knew we were coming and prepared a street with our name on it. Our apartment is in house 8, painted a lovely blue:
Surprisingly, it's not this church that rings out the time, although the bell is just audible inside our apartment, even with the windows closed! I find bell-towers both convenient and beautiful. If I was king of the world for a day, I'd make sure every Mormon church had a friendly bell tower that rang briefly every hour on the hour and when services were beginning. (Not everyone would be down with that, I'm sure. Your votes?)
In our building, we have a few other apartments, what appears to be the green party (more on this later), and this weaving shop. Inside you can see hand looms (!) making fabric.
Around the corner of our building is a cafe called "Le Café de Paris" and this very colorful scene, along with what sounds like a karate studio (more on that as I'm able to verify the facts):
If you've been following along at home, we went from the front of our building then around the corner (both pics looking southward) and on our right is our little back yard. We're in a studio apartment, which shares a little yard with the other apartments in the complex. Turn to your right...
And turn to the right again.
All that, and we're not paying a lot more than the kids staying in the (sometimes bone-chilling) dormatories. This is because my sweet wife ist sehr klug, meine freunden! She found it on the interwebs and it's working out very nicely. I feel quite at home in our cozy, clean, neat room. Although a lot of things are different, there are certain things that remind me of home. For example, lilacs, which are apparently so useful to plant because they will grow literally anywhere (and look so nice and purple while they do it!)
The sky is more or less the same, as well:
And rivers are still beautiful in Germany. As if we were worried about that.
The surprise is in the gondolas. Bam! and you're in Venice!
Yup, Tuebingen is a nice place to call home for a while, as did a collection of philosophers and theologians including Hegel, the current pope, an important Biblical scholar David Strauss.
Although, one might say that our true home is wherever you are. Since you're kind enough to read my blog, you're probably up to helping us feel at home when we get to your neck of the woods, I presume? We'll do the same for you, although we've only got the tile floor to offer at this point. (It can be heated or cooled at your request!)
fortunately they have signs that direct you to the sky in case you lose it!
ReplyDeletemodern in the old style: mid-century modern. i like it a lot, too.
it looks lovely there.
my vote on bell towers is absolutely yes! as long as they're succinct.
I am also in favor of bell towers. I don't actually care if they're succinct. A nice noon bell concert is hard to beat.
ReplyDeleteI think your little place looks like a postcard. So pretty, and colorful, and clean. German, I think you would say. I love love the periwinkle blue house. and I like your purple flowers, but I don't think they're lilacs. They look like the flowers that come on the chokecherries (i.e. smaller and more conical). But that's just me.
thank you for the tour!
I think I will investigate the flowers!
ReplyDeleteAnd it's good to know it's two to zero on the bell-towers thing. Just so you know, the Tuebingen models ring a "ding-dong" for each quarter hour (i.e. at 10:45, you hear: "ding-dong! ding-dong! ding-dong!") and then one dong per hour. When services are beginning/7:00 PM happens (I haven't actually gone outside to make sure they're meeting then) they ring the bells for exactly eight minutes. Exactly! I'm writing a letter to Salt Lake right now... :)